Important Information >>

Multi-Purpose Jig

I designed and built this jig because I felt it was awkward and hazardous to rout through a workpiece overhanged over the edge of a workbench. I wanted a safe way to rout slots, large holes or patterns on a solid and secure base.

I soon found out that this jig is also perfect to raise a blank to be cut with a circular saw, a jigsaw or a rotary tool, and also great as assembly or glue-up table since I can clamp a project from underneath.

In fact, this jig is a perfect small shop solution since it is a multi-purpose jig in one.

See all details on this page of my website.

Best

Serge

www.atelierdubricoleur.spaces.live.com

Comments

jwoischke wrote re: Multi-Purpose Jig
on 05-04-2009 9:19 AM

Great Safety idea!!  It also has many other uses.

Fridayzmine wrote re: Multi-Purpose Jig
on 05-04-2009 10:35 AM

Very well thought out! Inexpensive solution to many shop "problems".

Roy wrote re: Multi-Purpose Jig
on 05-04-2009 11:36 AM

Nice jig....I like the pre-thought out functionability!

sveng wrote re: Multi-Purpose Jig
on 05-05-2009 12:07 PM

Great Idea

I would add a second center piece so cross cuts do not get caught in the blade when droping.

Four stands, means two stable supports for each side.

Thanks for sharing.

Sven

bricofleur wrote re: Multi-Purpose Jig
on 05-05-2009 5:22 PM

Thanks for your comment Sven,

When I built this jig it was entended to be for through routing only. When I used it the first time to crosscut I soon realized that I would need proper support to prevent dropings and catchings. So I made a stand alone T-support that I use only when crosscutting long boards.

Since you raised this issue, I decided to add an appropriate additional picture on the relevant page of my website to show this T-support.

Best,

Serge

mpisano wrote re: Multi-Purpose Jig
on 05-13-2009 8:42 AM

Looks great ! But what do I do with it when not in use? I have a small shop . Maybe  I could hang it from the ceiling

bricofleur wrote re: Multi-Purpose Jig
on 05-13-2009 3:13 PM

mpisano,

I also have a small shop and I store mine on its side at the end of my outfeed table, and sometimes I store it standing straight up on the floor. One thing I would suggest, keep it close to your working area so you would use it often. If it's worthed building it, it's worthed using it.

Best,