Important Information >>

AW Extra 8/16/12 - Sharpening Jig for Jointer and Planer Blades

Sharpening Jig for Jointer and Planer Blades

I’ve tried several different shop-made jigs for sharpening my jointer and planer knives but this one has proved the simplest to use and make.

When making this sharpening jig it’s important to make the slots at the correct angle so the bevels of the blades lay perfectly horizontal. This way the sandpaper will have even contact. My jointer blades required a 38-degree angle but check yours because it may be different.

I also had to saw the angled slots with the board on its edge. That’s because my tablesaw (like most) tilts to only 45 degrees. This is not far enough for the slot to be cut with the board laying flat. Cutting it on its edge solves this problem. Take a look at your saw and you will see what I mean. Double-check the angle of your jointer knives and saw the slots to match. I added a blade guard to keep things safe.

For the sanding block I used chunks of 3/4-in. MDF with sheets of silicon carbide sandpaper attached with spray-on adhesive. I started with 220 grit and worked my way up to 600 grit for a final honing.

Comments

hubanagy wrote re: Simple Sharpening Jig
on 03-12-2009 8:01 PM

Good jig.

hbratton wrote re: Simple Sharpening Jig
on 04-22-2009 8:36 PM

thanks for your tip,i can now use it in my work here in the philippines...

originalbart wrote re: Simple Sharpening Jig
on 04-27-2009 8:11 PM

How do you go about sharpening 3 blades & keeping them the same width & weight.

Andy Andrews wrote re: Simple Sharpening Jig
on 04-28-2009 4:21 AM

great tip. i'll try it and maybe save some bucks

john woods wrote re: Simple Sharpening Jig
on 05-01-2009 8:15 PM

while the jig is good, i would not use sandpaper. rather, i would use ceramic stones.

MrChips wrote re: Simple Sharpening Jig
on 05-10-2009 10:01 AM

For the question that "originalbart " posed about sharpening three knives or even four I would suggest making strips at the desired angle and attaching them to a substrate. That way multiple blades could be sharpened.  Attaching to a substrate would assure that all blades would sit at the same depth.

gvd1 wrote re: Simple Sharpening Jig
on 05-10-2009 10:10 AM

Great solution to the question Mr. Chips.

Bruce Jackson wrote re: Simple Sharpening Jig
on 05-29-2009 2:24 PM

Useful start. Comment on ceramic stones might also apply to waterstones and oilstones (if you use lght soy, camelia, canola, or corn oil). Other flat blades where this may apply

- card scrapers (shape jigs to follow edges of, say, goosenecks, concave, and convex scrapers)

- cabinet scrapers (e.g. Stanley #80)

- putty knives

- drawknives

- spokeshaves

David M. Titus wrote re: Simple Sharpening Jig
on 05-30-2009 11:27 AM

To sharpen three knife blades, which my planner and jointer have, might I suggest adding another block to the origional one with the same angle sawed into it.  Machine in a tongue and groove in the edge of the two pieces. This should take care of any heights problems so they will match.

AndyGump wrote re: Simple Sharpening Jig
on 06-26-2009 10:33 AM

Have made several such jigs for my joiners & planers.

I added adjustment screws  under the blades by drilling & tapping the wood, directly under the blade(s). (Oak/Maple/Hickory/Holly/Black Locust, etc will thread almost a well as cast iron.) I use a 1/4 x28, drill w/#3 pilot bit..  Use hex cap drive screws, should be counter bored so heads will not protrude below the bottom.

Use the same procedure to lock the blade in the slots by drilling & tapping at a couple of points along sides,  90 degree to the the blade.  Heads can protrude, just watch out for fingers. Some cases may be desirable to counter bore to get the adj. heads out of the way.

My  joiner w/3 blades, I sent them to my friendly sawyer for real sharping,  solved a lot of problems.   In the interim,  just made a jig as I described above for one blade, did light honing w/a stone, use a micrometer to check for width.

amber24paige wrote re: Simple Sharpening Jig
on 06-24-2010 6:19 AM

Your post is rocking and knowledgeable... I really appreciate the way you write . I would like to read more from you.