Important Information >>

Grind Your Own Knives

With this simple jig, a drill press and a cup grinder, I can sharpen any jointer or planer knife. First I make a hardwood block and cut it to 1/16 in. less than the length of the knives. Then I add a retaining piece at each end, as shown. Install a medium-grit cup grinder in the drill press and set the speed at the high end of its range. Lower the grinding wheel until it just touches the blade, then lock the quill. Continue grinding until all the nicks in the knife are removed. Use the same procedure to grind the remaining knives, then hone them on an oil or waterstone in the usual way.

Filed under:
Attachment: grind_knives_tn.jpg

Comments

esmalesk wrote re: Grind Your Own Knives
on 03-21-2009 10:39 AM

Where did you get a cup grinder for a drill press?

Thanks,

ED

Donald J. Marx wrote re: Grind Your Own Knives
on 05-15-2009 9:20 PM

I tried this method and I find it very difficult to get the exact angle for my knives.  Also, the drill press table must be precisely perpendicular to the cup stone.

Donald J. Marx wrote re: Grind Your Own Knives
on 05-15-2009 9:20 PM

DUSTY MILLER wrote re: Grind Your Own Knives
on 05-31-2009 6:08 PM

SAW  GRINDING KNIVES?  MAYBE THINGS HAVE CHANGED IN THE YEARS I USE A DIAMOND DUST SHARPENER TO AS YOU SAY GRIND WE SAY SHARPEN A KNIVE BLADE ECT OR A CYLIDRICAL HONONING DEVICE .,I IN UK USE TIP TOOLS CARBIDE TIPS WHICH ARE GROUND TO DESIRE. ONCE GROUND AND USED AT VERY HIGH SPEED 5000 RPM PLUS WHY SHARPEN THEY WILL LAST YOU YEARS ? PLUS YOU CAN GET GRINDING JIGS CHEAP NOW YOU ONLY HAVE TO ADJUST ANGLE THEN GRIND /SHARPEN YOUR BLADE CUTTER ECT

Burned Wood wrote re: Grind Your Own Knives
on 06-14-2009 10:17 AM

just to be sure i got this right:

i cut the blade holder block 1/16 inch longer than the blade

make an angled slot in the block that puts the business end of the blade perfectly horizontal with the grinding wheel

ensure the slot is exactly wide enough hold the blade without allowing movement while grinding but not so wide that the blade will not fit into the slot

attach end pieces to the jig

set the drill press to max speed

make sure every thing is properly aligned

sharpen the blade by lowering the grinding cup to touch the blade

use a MEDIUM grit cup?

where is the simple in this?

BW

BeKnot wrote re: Grind Your Own Knives
on 07-26-2009 5:31 PM

Dear Mr.Burned Wood,

You might want to reread those directions.

Alvin wrote re: Grind Your Own Knives
on 12-09-2009 7:48 PM

some folks just like to criticize.  As compared to paying $6 a knife, and driving for miles to get it done, this is a great alternative!

Good idea.