Free Product Guide >>

Woodwork

Winter 2013-2014

Preview this issue

Jig for Router Dadoes

For fast and accurate dadoes, this jig is hard to beat. The trick is to run the router against one guide, then back against the other. This allows you to use a 1/2-in. bit, for example, to cut a dado that's 13/16-in. wide or less, to get a perfect fit with plywood. Because the dado is cut in the end of the jig, you can simply line up the jig with one mark. This makes it hard to goof up by having the dado on the wrong side of the mark. For greatest accuracy, make a dedicated jig to fit one router and one bit. Note: The jig will only cut one size dado.

Comments

stuartjl wrote re: Jig for Router Dadoes
on 03-03-2009 12:30 PM

Suggest making one of the guide boards adjustable so the dado can be made the exact width needed.

rgkelly35 wrote re: Jig for Router Dadoes
on 03-16-2009 7:04 PM

Agree with stuartjl.  You can do better

Bill Hackler wrote re: Jig for Router Dadoes
on 03-20-2009 9:48 AM

I've made a jig like this and it works well except my bit tends to bite in at times and pulls itself deeper into the wood. Anyway to prevent this? I've tried to tighten the nut on the router shaft as much as I can but the bit stills works its way out.

Mrwill wrote re: Jig for Router Dadoes
on 03-27-2009 7:50 PM

Get a new router !

ubersalmon wrote re: Jig for Router Dadoes
on 03-28-2009 2:07 AM

Bill, I've always been taught not to seat the router bit all the way to the bottom of the router shaft.  This is because many times the bottom of the shaft is tapered at the bottom so when the nut is tightened the pressure isn't uniform on the shaft of the bit and it can work itself out, especially at high speeds.  So when I install the bit I push all the way down until I feel it hit bottom then pull up just a fraction (1-2 mm) then secure the nut.  I've never had a problem.

Jeff wrote re: Jig for Router Dadoes
on 04-04-2009 11:34 PM

Bill and mrwill, I have a jig kind of like this one. Only I make mind to be adjustable and I use a router bushing the width of the opening and has worked well for me. Try it, it might work for you

steve331 wrote re: Jig for Router Dadoes
on 04-07-2009 2:23 PM

I've seen alot of router jigs, but this is not one I would have shown off.

kellyalley wrote re: Jig for Router Dadoes
on 09-28-2009 12:19 PM

Wow you guys are harsh.  I think it is an outstanding jig to show.  Not everyone that visits the site is pro, a large portion are just weekend woodworkers so tips/jigs like this are very useful/helpful.  I am still trying to get my garage shop together and my first project is a cabinet for storage.  This is a very handy jig for my shelves.

Thanks

omayyad wrote re: Jig for Router Dadoes
on 10-06-2009 11:51 AM

To help keep the router bit from bottoming out, add a rubber "O" ring on the bit and snug it up to the head of the bit. This helps prevent bottoming out.

Noel Cruz wrote re: Jig for Router Dadoes
on 05-25-2011 5:50 AM

Good job!!

Which type of jig is used to make Router Dadoes ?

<a href="www.myparceldelivery.com/courier-service.aspx">courier service</a>