Free Product Guide >>

Woodwork

Winter 2013-2014

Preview this issue

Long-Reach Stop for Crosscut Sled

I built the “Ultimate Crosscut Sled” featured in AW #75 (October 1999). It works great, and recently I've added an adjustable stop, which makes it even better. I thought other AW readers would be interested in my upgrade. My 50-in.-capacity stop consists of scrap wood, a 48-in. length of
T-track (I used Mini Track from www.prairieriverwoodworking.com), 1/4-20 hex-head bolts and a couple of plastic knobs. I spent less than $25. My stop makes repetitive crosscutting of long stock—shelves for a bookcase, for instance—a breeze. Any hardwood will do for the rail and stop; I used a 7/8-in. x 2-in. x 60-in. piece of hickory. You can increase the crosscut capacity by using a longer rail. I cut a stopped dado in the back of the rail to house the T-track, which I installed with screws. I attached the stop to the end of the rail with a glued half-lap joint. I counterbored a pair of holes in the sled's fence and installed the bolts and knobs.

T-track makes the stop easy to install and adjust. When the stop isn't necessary, tightening the knobs draws the bolts into the counterbored holes, so they don't protrude.

Comments

idahodale wrote re: Long-Reach Stop for Crosscut Sled
on 03-28-2009 4:51 PM

I USE A NEARLY IDENTICAL STOP ON MY OLD RADIAL ARM SAW.  I MADE THREE STOPS OF DIFFERENT LENGTHS TO HANDLE CUTS FROM ONE INCH UP TO 48 INCHES.

lugnut wrote re: Long-Reach Stop for Crosscut Sled
on 04-11-2009 8:48 AM

Great and simple idea.  I have bee looking for a solution to this problem.  Thanks for sharing.

A J wrote re: Long-Reach Stop for Crosscut Sled
on 04-14-2009 8:20 PM

I know what I will be doing tomorrow in my shop. The cross cut sled will be modified by noon.

Great tip, thanks.

Ajaxleon wrote re: Long-Reach Stop for Crosscut Sled
on 04-19-2009 12:57 PM

Thanks, is very interesting.

mpisano wrote re: Long-Reach Stop for Crosscut Sled
on 05-13-2009 9:24 AM

I use a tablesaw vintage 1941 + or - a few years .

It has a cast iron table that measures about 15X18 inches . To cut on a 45 angle one tilts the table not the arbor . Oh well maybe in another life .

jbryant1962 wrote re: Long-Reach Stop for Crosscut Sled
on 06-12-2009 7:19 AM

Any suggestions for an Idiot that bought a Craftsman benchtop saw without checking how wide the slots for the Miter slide was??? It is 18mm/ 11/16 and the miter guide that came with the saw is sloppy already. I am thinking of mounting angle iron on each side and mounting the 3/4 x 3/8 slides they sell at the Woodcraft store. it will just be a pain shimming until I get it 100% square. Email jbryant1962@yahoo.com with suggestions if you like.

woodworker babu wrote re: Long-Reach Stop for Crosscut Sled
on 08-08-2009 12:57 AM

Thanks for the t-slot idea, I am building a jig with 8020 aluminium extrusions, This article gave an idea on how I can use my t-slot for stopd on the sled