Important Information >>

Long-Reach Stop for Crosscut Sled

I built the “Ultimate Crosscut Sled” featured in AW #75 (October 1999). It works great, and recently I've added an adjustable stop, which makes it even better. I thought other AW readers would be interested in my upgrade. My 50-in.-capacity stop consists of scrap wood, a 48-in. length of
T-track (I used Mini Track from www.prairieriverwoodworking.com), 1/4-20 hex-head bolts and a couple of plastic knobs. I spent less than $25. My stop makes repetitive crosscutting of long stock—shelves for a bookcase, for instance—a breeze. Any hardwood will do for the rail and stop; I used a 7/8-in. x 2-in. x 60-in. piece of hickory. You can increase the crosscut capacity by using a longer rail. I cut a stopped dado in the back of the rail to house the T-track, which I installed with screws. I attached the stop to the end of the rail with a glued half-lap joint. I counterbored a pair of holes in the sled's fence and installed the bolts and knobs.

T-track makes the stop easy to install and adjust. When the stop isn't necessary, tightening the knobs draws the bolts into the counterbored holes, so they don't protrude.

Filed under: ,

Comments

idahodale wrote re: Long-Reach Stop for Crosscut Sled
on 03-28-2009 4:51 PM

I USE A NEARLY IDENTICAL STOP ON MY OLD RADIAL ARM SAW.  I MADE THREE STOPS OF DIFFERENT LENGTHS TO HANDLE CUTS FROM ONE INCH UP TO 48 INCHES.

lugnut wrote re: Long-Reach Stop for Crosscut Sled
on 04-11-2009 8:48 AM

Great and simple idea.  I have bee looking for a solution to this problem.  Thanks for sharing.

A J wrote re: Long-Reach Stop for Crosscut Sled
on 04-14-2009 8:20 PM

I know what I will be doing tomorrow in my shop. The cross cut sled will be modified by noon.

Great tip, thanks.

Ajaxleon wrote re: Long-Reach Stop for Crosscut Sled
on 04-19-2009 12:57 PM

Thanks, is very interesting.

mpisano wrote re: Long-Reach Stop for Crosscut Sled
on 05-13-2009 9:24 AM

I use a tablesaw vintage 1941 + or - a few years .

It has a cast iron table that measures about 15X18 inches . To cut on a 45 angle one tilts the table not the arbor . Oh well maybe in another life .

jbryant1962 wrote re: Long-Reach Stop for Crosscut Sled
on 06-12-2009 7:19 AM

Any suggestions for an Idiot that bought a Craftsman benchtop saw without checking how wide the slots for the Miter slide was??? It is 18mm/ 11/16 and the miter guide that came with the saw is sloppy already. I am thinking of mounting angle iron on each side and mounting the 3/4 x 3/8 slides they sell at the Woodcraft store. it will just be a pain shimming until I get it 100% square. Email jbryant1962@yahoo.com with suggestions if you like.

woodworker babu wrote re: Long-Reach Stop for Crosscut Sled
on 08-08-2009 12:57 AM

Thanks for the t-slot idea, I am building a jig with 8020 aluminium extrusions, This article gave an idea on how I can use my t-slot for stopd on the sled